Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Labelled a "banana" and proud of it!

BANANA
Definition: A Chinese who does not speak, write or read the chinese language a.k.a Mandarin. ( labelled banana because like bananas, they are yellow on the outside but white on the inside- meaning; they can speak English more than Mandarin)

Calling someone as a "banana" can be a joke sometimes.. heck..it might be even funny but there is a thin line between a joke and an insult!

However there are some who feels that if an individual have zero knowledge in Chinese, that person is an insult to his own kind... ( sounds serious doesn't it?) How do you define a Chinese? Those who are American Chinese are still part Chinese regardless of the language they know. So am I not Chinese?

I am not ashamed of being a "banana" because I know I take the initiative to learn Chinese. I have tried my best to learn as much as I can. I am happy with the fact that there are people who are willing to teach those like me to speak Chinese and in return I help them with their English. For example, those from my Faci camp. They helped me translate the talks conducted in Chinese even though I could clearly see that they are having a difficult time doing so. However, they still insisted on helping me. <>

It is these people that made me realised that those who laugh in your face when you tell them you can't speak Chinese are not even worth thinking about. My friends are proof that they are willing to try to improve themselves and that they are not sceptical or prejudiced against those like me.

I once asked a few of my new found friends on their first impression of me. At first,they thought I was cocky due to the fact that I kept speaking English. But they learned the truth and now, we all get along so well regardless of the language barrier. See how the situation differs from those who just base everything on the first thought or impression on "banana"s. I hope that those who read this, if your friend happens to be a " banana" like me , do not laugh, tease or avoid him. Instead get to know him and who knows , you might find a good friend in that person..

Let me finish off with this line;
"Among true friends , language will not be a barrier but a bond that will bind those who are different together"

4 comments:

BigFatLittlePiggy said...

Hey Wee Nee, I-Hsiang here... and good on you! 'Banana' ma 'banana' LO!! *blek*

The only Mandarin I know is the sentence that tells other people that I know jack about the language.

And think about it this way: people who make fun of you not being able to speak Mandarin can't stand the fact that your command of the English language is so much better than theirs ;)

winz said...

haha.. thanks for your comment... i did not know you had a blog!! haha... =P

Nicki said...

BANANAS UNITE! >.<

one 2 voice said...

Yeap! Bananas and proud of it!

Banana